I have toyed with the idea of buying a Dyson ball vacuum for a few years now but I could never justify spending over $300 for a vacuum cleaner…until I used one.
I looked after a neighbor’s cat a few weeks ago and she had a Dyson that I used to clean up one of the cat’s messes. It was like the first time I ever used an iPhone. I knew what my next big purchase would be.
Then I got busy with work and school and forgot about it, but my thoughtful husband continued to price Dysons on Amazon for me. We are living in Japan now with a military APO address so not only does it take forever for things to get here sometimes sellers won’t ship to APO so that adds another variable into the price-checking mix.
He found a refurbished unit for $279 shipped and that makes this thifty lady very happy.
It arrived yesterday after about 2 weeks and I’ve been playing with it today.
The difference between the Dyson DC24 and my Hoover Elite Rewind are obvious just from seeing them side by side.
The Dyson is smaller, lighter, and more agile. The Dyson’s handle telescopes to make it even more compact when you store it away.
I can hold the Dyson off the ground with 1 finger; I can barely hold the Hoover off the ground with one hand.
The suction is strong, though I wish I had remembered to vacuum with the Hoover then go over it with the Dyson to see what the Dyson picked up.
The color was a coincidence since David just went for the least expensive ball model on Amazon with Prime shipping, but the red is nice. The Hoover’s finish is more shiny, though (get it together, Dyson! People like shiny things!)
Pros of the Dyson:
- Quiet (my cats don’t even wake up when I use it)
- Easy to empty
- No retracting cord
- Shorter cord than I’m used to
- Smaller canister
- Ultra-lightweight and compact – weighs only 11.65 lbs. and wand compresses for easy storage
- Patented Root Cyclone technology ensures constant suction as you vacuum
- Expelled air has up to 150 times less mold and bacteria than the air you breathe
- No extra costs – lifetime washable HEPA filter and no bags to buy
- Tough, see-through polycarbonate Clear Bin empties with the push of a button Motor mounted in ball for a lower center of gravity and increased ease of steering
Hoove Elite Auto-Rewind
- Bagless upright vacuum cleaner with powerful 12 amp motor
- 14-1/2-inch-wide cleaning path; 7 height settings; air-flow indicator; HEPA filter
- Headlight; 24-foot auto-rewind cord; stretch hose for extended reach
- Crevice wand, dusting brush/upholstery tool, and pet-hair tool included
The verdict? If you want something light and nimble and can cough up the cash for a Dyson ball then go for it because I’m very happy with this purchase.